On Fri, 21 May 2010, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:

> This was removed because we thought nobody would ever use that.

Just got to the end of Peter's article, and looks like there's at
least one other user of the feature.  Pretty please can we have it
back? :)

Cheers,

Joonas

P.S. I mentioned linux explicitly, but only becase I didn't want to
muddy the waters.  I do actually deploy on other unix variants
(openbsd, solaris at the moment) as well where this works.