steve donovan wrote:
It's easy to see why, and a wise programmer knows the cost of every
construct.  But I don't see why we can't keep a little bit of
redundancy, if it does not cost the language much, so certain common
patterns can continue to be expressed neatly.

Despite ipairs might not exist in Lua 5.2, I can't make myself to stop using it in my new scripts. Regarding performance: I would care only for those (rare) cases where it could be a bottleneck.

--
Shmuel