> It does work, just as long as I only send a normal string like "abcd1234"
> etc.

Well, it that case, I don't understand. For Lua there is no
distinction between a "normal" and a "binary" string.
Please check again your code, that should be some stupid bug.
If you want further support, please send us all the test code needed
to produce the problem.

PS: there is a problem with the time stamp of your messages. Your
answers seem to arrive about 3.2 hours before my questions...